The oldest remains on the site are granite ashlars like those of the Roman aqueduct, suggesting a castle or fortification during Roman rule. The stronghold was built on this.

The first documentary trace of the construction is from 1122, shortly after Alfonso VI of León reconquered the city, but it is not named Alcazar until 1155 in a letter in the cathedral archives.

Alfonso VIII lived there. The palace fell when Alfonso X was inside in 1258. The palace's weapons room is the oldest. It was restored and enlarged several times, presumably from Alfonso X to Philip II. The latter gives it its unique "silhouette" among Spanish fortresses.

The Alcázar was a favorite home of Castilian kings, especially Alfonso X, in the Middle Ages due to its security and proximity to hunting areas. The palace-castle was inhabited numerous times and witnessed important events in Spanish history, such as Isabella the Catholic's proclamation and Philip II and Anne of Austria's wedding service in its chapel.

In 1256, King Alfonso X "the Wise" held the first Alcázar Cortes. The Alcázar's remodeling, enlargement, and ornamentation, which began with Catherine of Lancaster in 1412 and peaked under Henry IV, was admired by all visitors.

The Alcazar housed the royal treasury, archives, and armoury once its military role ended. Room decoration reflected this transformation. John II and Henry IV undertook systematic archival preservation. John II ordered records to be moved to the Alcázar "to my archive in the city of Segovia" in 1437, establishing Castile's first royal archive.

The Alcázar reached its peak under John II and his son Henry IV, both for its position in the complicated political game of those stormy years and for its busy cultural life and exquisite decorating.

From the early 17th century, the Alcazar became a governmental jail, like the Bastille in France or the Tower of London in England. It has occasionally held famous people since the Middle Ages.

Many prominent politicians were imprisoned there under Philip IV and Charles II, the final Austrian rulers.

Charles III established the Royal College of Artillery at Segovia in 1762 under Count Felix Gazzola. The College moved into the Alcázar on 16 May 1764. This teaching center became the model of enlightened military education.

Thanks to José María Avrial y Flores' 1839 engravings, the grand rooms' beautiful ceilings were faithfully restored after a fire in 1862.

The General Military Archive, remaining at the Alcázar, was installed on the first level in 1898.

It became a historic-artistic monument in 1931.

Article obtained from Wikipedia article Wikipedia in his version of 13/06/2023, by various authors under the license Licencia de Documentación Libre GNU.