Puerta de la Pellejería

The eastern wall of the north arm of the transept, on the corner with the Puerta de la Coronera and internally with the Escalera Dorada (Golden Staircase), is visible from the Plaza de La Llana square. This doorway is less well-known by its former name, Puerta del Canalejo. In 1516, Bishop Juan Rodrguez de Fonseca ordered its construction as a replacement for the Coronera Gate, which locals from the upper part of the city used for non-religious purposes to descend a staircase and cross the Cathedral to reach the lower part of the city. This entryway was designed by Francisco de Colonia, son of Simón and grandson of Juan, who envisioned it as a Gothic altarpiece with two sections of three streets and an attic, or pediment, but with Plateresque ornamentation in the pilasters, friezes, and entablatures.

A rounded arch doorway with an archivolt adorned with statuettes of the Apostles under canopies that follow the direction of the arch can be found in the first section of the main street; in the second section, two reliefs depicting the martyrdom of Saint John the Baptist and Saint John the Evangelist can be found; The attic features a relief of the Virgin enthroned with the Child, between musical angels, and with the patron bishop kneeling on the left; the side streets feature images of various saints made, like the coats of arms, before 1523 by Bartolomé de la Haya, and are located beneath two coats of arms of the prelate Fonseca. Despite its high artistic value, the Puerta de la Pellejera is disproportionately small because of the limited space architects had to work with.

It's no secret that the Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris is the most famous church in the world, and that its name is a reference to the fact that it was built on the ruins of an ancient temple.

Article obtained from Wikipedia article Wikipedia in his version of 09/05/2023, by various authors under the license Licencia de Documentación Libre GNU.