Capilla de San Bartolomé - Mezquita Córdoba

The chapel of San Bartolomé is located in the mihrab wall and is the resting place of the remains of the famous Cordovan poet Luis de Góngora y Argote. It was founded in the 13th century by Martín Muñoz, and later became the property of the Fernández de Córdoba family.

It has a quadrangular floor plan covered by a vaulted ceiling with a lantern, which has been greatly altered and from which hangs a silver lamp. In the altarpiece behind the altar, the latter covered with Mudejar tiles dating from the 15th century, there is a canvas depicting the Martyrdom of Saint Bartholomew, a copy of the original by José de Ribera, painted in 1626. The altarpiece is made of ungilded carved wood and is decorated with abundant plant motifs.

The altar and wall tiles date from the 15th century and are from the same period. The grille that closes the chapel was also made in the 15th century, and on top of it there is a heraldic painting of the Góngora surname.

Article obtained from Wikipedia article Wikipedia in his version of 01/07/2022, by various authors under the license Licencia de Documentación Libre GNU.